Welcome! guest

Polyester, when do you wear it?

Need help putting an outfit together? No idea what to wear for a big event? Not sure how to dress your body? This is the place to discuss all your fashion, clothing, shoes, and accessory dilemmas!

Polyester, when do you wear it?

Postby LABElf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I have one Polyester knit (jersey?) skirt that I love but never wear. I generally avoid polyester like the plague. I really want to make it work, but I honestly don't know what season to wear it in. It is a really vibrant abstract/watercolor floral print in reds, purples, and black. The fabric is stumping me. Is polyester too hot for spring/summer? Too cold for winter? What fabrics/accessories do you pair it with? I'm fairly casual and was planning on wearing it with flats and a t-shirt, maybe a casual button down, but it really has me stumped. Hmmm . . . what do you own that is polyester and how do you wear it?
Last edited by LABElf on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LABElf

Re: Poleyster, when do you wear it?

Postby pres.sostyled » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Since I ignore all labels (except you, Labelf) I wouldn't know for sure if I owned any. Anyway, I call it "Microfiber." I like the way that it launders and sheds wrinkles; so much more sturdy than silk.
For your skirt, pair it with a rough-finish light blue chambray button front shirt, heavy gray cable tights, and wide strap open shoes.
pres.sostyled

Postby LABElf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Thank you for the ideas Pres! Also, I found your comment about my handle quite funny. I love the idea of the chambray shirt, but how would I wear it with tails out? The skirt has enough weight to avoid being clingy and showing panty lines, but would definitely look lumpy with a button down tucked in.
LABElf

Postby tina » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 am

LABElf
Try wearing it untucked with a belt.
tina

Re: Polyester, when do you wear it?

Postby Siepres » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am

I've had an oscillating relationship with polyester, lol. When I was younger and didn't know any better, I tended to buy cheap clothes that were made almost entirely of polyester, and I never really liked how they felt against my skin nor how they didn't breath well. As a result, when I discovered the idea of "natural fabrics," I switched almost entirely to them. Then, I fell in love with a Ralph Lauren blue jersey dress made entirely from polyester and spandex! I loved it, so I gave it a shot. It's great. The jersey material flows perfectly, almost never wrinkles, feels perfect against my skin, and doesn't feel like a sauna when temps rise. I also have a few wool skirts that are lined with a polyester that feels more like silk. Most of my stuff is still in natural fabrics, but I'm not against the idea of polyester anymore. I tend to avoid the cheaper stuff because I can feel the texture difference between, say, a jersey dress from Target and then one from Ralph Lauren, but I don't avoid the fabric altogether.

Moral of the story: Pres is right. Ignore all labels. Well almost. I can't wear wool directly against my skin, but for the most part, ignore all labels! If it feels good and looks good, wear it!
To keep in the rear of opportunity in matters of indulgence is as valuable a habit as to keep abreast of opportunity in matters of enterprise. -- Thomas Hardy
Siepres

Postby AZ Judy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm still not nuts about polyester but they are doing some blends now that include polyester and they can be very nice.
AZ Judy

Postby pres.sostyled » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Another trick for smoothing is to tuck the shirt into a slip worn under the skirt. I have a slip that's a little stiff just for this purpose.
pres.sostyled

Postby ellyabillion » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm wearing a dress that is mostly polyester today. The fabric is thick with a nice drape. It does not feel cheap and it's not too hot. I avoid even trying on clothing if the fabric looks cheap, no matter what the fiber content says.
Elly
ellyabillion

Postby Ileana » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 pm

good question- i avoid it as a rule but not all are the same. a few years ago i swore i was having hormonal trouble because of intense sweating at night. it was polyester pajamas [shirt and pants set for the winter]. in the summer it's unbearable here in AZ-imagine an oven and your body is in it. Uff but i have dresses from maggy london that work, they are knee length, snug on the waist and short sleeved [back in the day when you could still find short sleeves, ay!] my trouble with it is that it tends to be flimsy [not always of course] and that is the death of me for my shape. i need structure and stiff fabric [heyyy maybe retro polyester from the 60-70s heh heh] so i don't look 'soft'.
Ileana

Postby tc45 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 pm

You could even try tucking the shirt into the tights to avoid any bulging and wrinkling. Works for me.....
tc45

Next

Return to Fashion Questions